Davisville Village is named after John Davis, who immigrated to Canada from Staffordshire, England in 1840. John Davis served as Davisville’s first postmaster and helped found the Davisville Public School. The building that housed the original post office is currently a Starbucks at the north east corner of Yonge Street and Davisville Avenue.
The south part of Davisville was subdivided in the 1860’s on land owned mostly by the Davis family. The north part of the Village belonged to the Church. This latter tract of land, known as the Davisville Glebe, remained undeveloped until 1911 when it was sold to the Dovercourt Land and Building Company, the same company that oversaw the development of the Lawrence Park neighbourhood.
Between the 1920s and 1930s, a number of single family homes were erected here, some of which still stand. During the 1970s, the construction of single-family homes was replaced by the building of condos and low or high rise apartment buildings.
This centrally located neighbourhood has always been popular with singles, young couples and families, and is known for its excellent recreational facilities, outstanding shopping districts, and active nightlife, which includes bars, restaurants and movie theatres.